A Poor turn out

Yesterday's craft show (can I say this plain and simple?) SUCKED!
Poor advertising, poor location, and local competition. Shall I continue? I had second thoughts about blogging today, since I am not in a great mood today. Not only was the show a loss; I'm worrying about paying current bills, now the foot doctor wants money, saying insurance didn't cover certain things (that I should have been advised of before hand), and I have a blown tire on my car (an expensive cost as I have a sports/luxury car with big 17 inch tires on)
I'm drifting, I know.
The show: location was a bit out of the way, and down the street was a big juried annual show, where all the people were.



A restaurant across the street from location:


I don't think we even had 30 people come through the doors.


Yeah, these photos kinda sum it up.
I only made back my booth fee due to a friend stopping by and making a purchase. Really, I lost money, because I donated a rather expensive necklace for a raffle basket. Enjoy it! whoever won.
I should have known to expect this, as this was a "first" show the promoter had put together. And another thing, I think I need to start applying at the bigger, juried shows, as some of my work is high end, and I need to be in shows where the customers are expecting to see this type of work (and pay for it). I think I've said enough. I hope you all enjoy the photos anyway!
BTW: the new scarf pins will be in my Etsy shop sometime this week. And I'm offering free holiday gift wrapping until Christmas, and throughout December, 20% off all purchases of $45.00 or more.

My table:

Bookmark and Share

Comments

Cindy, I am so sorry you had this bad experience. My husband participated in a three day show (gun sales/collecting) in Phoenix this past weekend and did not sell one thing. He said it was a bust as well. Where I live, in Green Valley, AZ, the local artists had a show this weekend and everyone complained no sales. I think it is a sign of the times and very sad. I hope the rest of your week goes better. Sally
cindy said…
Thanks Sally. I agree. I wonder when this economy will turn around.
Anonymous said…
I hate to hear the show went badly Cindy.
Hugs
Alice said…
Gosh, when it rains, it pours! I hope your bad-luck streak disappears quickly!

I'm sorry the show was not better organized, and worse, that you lost money on the deal. Write a nice letter to the organizer with suggestions about how to improve the next show--even if you don't plan to attend.

Finding the right shows is a painful process, I know. Unfortunately about the only way to find out if a show fits you is to either attend as a customer, or to set up a booth and see what happens. This takes a lot of time, and sometimes money is lost. Even then,circumstances such as weather and a hoard of other activities and events in the area can change the outcome of even the most popular shows.
cindy said…
Thanks Alice, good advice! I hadn't thought about writing to the promoter, maybe I will. Oh, BTW: things have gotten better!
Shore Debris said…
I've had similar experiences at some shows this fall and have been doing the writing the organizers as suggested above. All but one have been very receptive to my minor recommendations for changes. I too am thinking of the juried ones and preparing packages (a couple of the big ones next fall have Jan/Feb deadlines for the applications) so I have to get moving!

Popular posts from this blog

Post July 4th workout and update

Classic Wisdom for the Professional Life edited by Bryan Curtis

January 2015 Nature Box subscription picks