Home shows: my last show of 2009

It's been a mad dash to get everything together for my last show of the year, which was this past Thursday, early evening. This is the second year I've done a holiday open house. Now the funny thing, well, not so funny is that I had a pipe leaking behind a wall in my bathroom and had to call in a plumber that morning, just to find out that the walls had to come down and there is dry wall damage. What fun! And what timing!

Just lovely, isn't it?
Anyway....THE SHOW: It was a very low turnout. I did make a little money which is good and helps out, but not as good as last year's. I contribute this to 2 things:
One, the economy. People are not spending as much this year. And 2, I don't think I talked about it or invited quests early enough for them to plan ahead. I think last year I started talking about it a month prior, and this year, I waited until about a week and a half to invite. Oh well, lesson learned.
A home show IS a great way to sell; make money; have friends over; and offer a convenient shopping experience for others. I read an article in Step by Step Wire jewelry magazine last year where the author stated that she makes most of her annual sales at this one type of show.
While browsing the web yesterday, I found this blog article entitled, "5 tips for a successful Handmade Craft Shopping Party". She also offers good tips on having a home based show. She refers to another site, Selling Your Crafts at a Craft Home Party, which offer many more tips about offering customers to host a show, how you would do that, offering hostess benefits, and more. Another good idea.

Another great source of information in Rena Klingenberg, so stop by her site; there is so much to read and discover.
That's all I've got for today. Oh, please stop over to the poll in the side bar and vote. I guess I'll be back with photos of the new bathroom, (when finished of course!)
Bookmark and Share

Comments

Thank you so much for the kind mention, Cindy! I really appreciate it.

Ugh on the pipe leaking and wall damage. I hope it all goes back together quickly. We had some flood damage repairs done a few months ago, and even though I know they were working quickly it felt like the house was torn up forever.

Take care!
Miss Malaprop said…
Thanks for linking to me! I actually noticed a lower turnout for my holiday time home show than the first one I did in October. I think that yes, the economy definitely had something to do with it. And I probably didn't market it to my friends as well, since I was overwhelmed with holiday events. We also had some bad rain that weekend, which couldn't have helped. Best of luck with your future home parties!

Popular posts from this blog

Post July 4th workout and update

Classic Wisdom for the Professional Life edited by Bryan Curtis

January 2015 Nature Box subscription picks