Experimenting with silver reticulation

Reticulating metal consists of heating the metal up to a certain temperature to change the shape, or bring crinkles in the metal. This takes a controlled use of the torch. You can read more about reticulation here.
Note: this is NOT a tutorial

This first photo shows what can happen if you overheat the metal. It will just shrivel up.


This, second attempt turned out better. Just a bit of crinkle.


You can make lots of organic looking jewelry with this technique. Here's a pair of earrings I made with the discs of reticulated silver, over copper. The rivets are copper, heat treated to turn pink.


Now I'm off to the workshop!

Bookmark and Share

Comments

I love seeing your work in process...it always amazes me! I love how one technique can do so many things!
The first ones remind me of gold nuggets :) And your final earrings are awesome!

Popular posts from this blog

January 2015 Nature Box subscription picks

Post July 4th workout and update

Oh happy day!